Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never prior to have many clinical breakthroughs and brand-new methods emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless people the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and pain-free way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will be delighted with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by elegant ads about a particular laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser. Discover who will actually do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Choose a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor does not know can injure you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK best site eye surgery complication rates. If your medical professional will not inform you, find another one.
Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and look here firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute.
Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as individual as each client. Beware of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for many a knockout post people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the vision of millions of individuals worldwide.